Sunday, November 27, 2011

Counting Our Blessings

Olivia has been enchanted by all the Christmas decorations we've placed around the house. She gazes in awe at the Christmas tree and asks constantly if she can blow out the candles I've lit throughout the house.

We have this snowman shaped jar in which we've put some tiny red and gold bulbs. She loves to carry this thing around, taking the 'hat' off the snowman every so often and pouring out the bulbs only to put them back in again.

A month ago, I asked Olivia to count something for me. There were six of whatever she was counting. She counted them to six and then went back to to start of the items and continued with seven, eight and nine.

Last night she was playing with the bulbs again and I asked her to hand me five of them.

And she did. She counted out exactly five and then handed them to me. I told her to take three back. She did. I then asked her how many I had left and she looked at the ones in my hand and said, "Two." She did this several times with several different amounts of bulbs.

It amazes me what a month can do for a kid Olivia's age. Five is huge.

Speaking of FIVE! Olivia is officially five today. This is the last year she will be able to count her age on one hand. She's counting, she's on the verge of reading (she can site read more words than I can count) and she's working on the projection of her voice.

Of course, when you're the youngest child in your family, you'll always be the baby and O is very easy to baby. But now she's five. She might decide this year that she's tired of being the baby. Then again, now that she can count with deliberation, she may decide to milk this last year of being one hand worth of fingers old for all it's worth.

I can't say I'd blame her at all.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

That is amazing! Olivia's working on stopping at a certain number...she just keeps going even if all of the items she's counting are gone!! I'm glad she's enjoying Christmas this year too...it makes it so special.

Happy Birthday Miss 5!!!