Saturday, March 3, 2012

Changing Things Up

So yesterday, when I saw that gas prices had gone from $3.82 to $3.99, I decided that the weekly trip the girls and I take to the grocery store on Saturdays needed to be done by myself on Friday night after work.

It made financial sense. We live 17 miles from town. I was saving us a 34 mile round trip and that much for my car.

And the best part? Tom already had the girls so it wasn't like my mom was being asked to care for them longer on a Friday afternoon while I went grocery shopping. Win/win.

Then, to keep the changes coming, I fell asleep in the recliner at 8:15 last night, while rocking Olivia. Alyssa woke me up at 9:00 so we could all go to bed. The only thing that makes me sad about that is that I didn't get to stay up and watch Grimm. Ahh well, we all have to make sacrifices sometimes.

Because of the early night, I was able to actually get up when the girls woke up at 6:00 this morning instead of sending them down to find their dad (who wakes up consistently at the unGodly hour of 4am, ugh!!) while I slept for at least another hour.

Olivia was in the tub by 6:15 (just because she likes to start the day with a bath) and we were downstairs eating breakfast by 7. On a Saturday! I know.

I started the day knowing we didn't have anywhere to go except the post office for Tom and that's only four miles away. He couldn't go himself because he left the house at 7:15 for an auction.

By 8:30, I'd cleaned a bathroom (the half bath, so nothing to really brag about), loaded the dishwasher, run two loads of laundry through the washer and was thinking about vacuuming.

We were at the post office by 9:15 and Alyssa requested that since we were out, we stop by Gram's house. She's only three miles away, so it wasn't really a trip or anything.

Whlie at her house, she invited us to go with her to shop for endtables. She's getting new carpet, already got new furniture and has done some painting. It's inspiring and yet depressing to see the amazing and expensive changes they're making to their house.

We made plans for her to pick us up an hour later and came home so I could shower. After my shower, I decided it was time to change out the mattress in my room. We'd had a new-to-us mattress standing against a wall in the guest room for months. I was so tired of the current mattress and my aching back arguing with each other that I change them out. Then the guest room begged to be switched around and so I moved the two dressers, the bed to another wall (so much better! Don't tell Tom.) and hung an antique-colored map on the wall behind the bed. So pretty! I got the map earlier this week at Staples for $8.00. Awesome.

So yeah, changes abound. Little ones, the ones that makes me want to make more, bigger ones. March is going to be my closet-painting month. I just know it.

No comments: