Thursday, March 15, 2012

More Fun

This morning Tom and the girls were already outside when it was time for me to leave for work. The bus picks the girls up for school no more than ten minutes after I leave.

They were running around the front yard, watching the clouds and picking shapes out of them.

At one point, Tom told Olivia that he wanted to marry one of the clouds.

She told him he couldn’t because the cloud was too big. Gotta love the logic used by a five year old.

I realized as I climbed into my car as the three of them played how much more fun the girls are these days than they were even a year or so ago.

They’re both still a lot of work but the work is different. Perhaps it’s that the work is less grinding, less minute to minute neediness.

Whatever it is, I realized this morning how much I like my family. Yes, yes I love them all with every cell in my body but liking them, to me is as important as loving them. Perhaps more important.

I want to be near them, I want to soak them in. I want to hear their thoughts and see their antics. I want to be drawn into a game of croquet at my mom’s right after work before we head home. I want to read to Olivia each night, to hear her giggle over silly pictures of cows in books.

I’m feel lucky to be where we are right this second. I like being in the moment and realizing how good that moment is. These times are fleeting. I am lucky to realize that and soak it all in.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I love those days and moments hen you feel the love that surrounds you.