Monday, April 8, 2013

A Look Back

I went through some of the boxes that have been in our garage that have been there since we moved in over two and a half years ago.

Two of the boxes were papers that went directly into the trash.

One was a box of size six clothes that Olivia fits right now. They went directly to the laundry.

Another box was full of pictures I told Tom I had no intention of putting on our walls. Those went into a garage sale pile. Ha.

I also found a book Alyssa had written in kindergarten. Her teacher had bound it with a hard cover and presented it Alyssa before the end of the school year.

It was the story of caterpillars.

Alyssa and I sat down to read what she’d written.

She laughed at how she’d spelled some of the words. Really was ‘rilly’, didn’t was ‘didt.’

The book wasn’t just written by Alyssa it was also illustrated by her. She found great amusement in her kindergarten artistry.

I thought it was wonderful. Obviously, I saved it. I plan to display it at her graduation party along with other pieces of work she’s done over the years.

I love that her kindergarten teacher took the time to make those books for the kids. That she made learning fun for them and taught them to take pride in their work.

I love that Alyssa was able, just four years later, to look at her work and laugh, to find joy in it and in how far she’s come since then.

I have so many more boxes to go through in that garage. I hope I find some more fun, nostalgic things we can all enjoy.

No comments: