Thursday, February 6, 2020

Positive

You know you’ve got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and don’t mess with Mr. In-Between.

Except, when you’re tired, the negatives glow like neon signs and the positives fade into the shadows.

But, let’s try this.

Here’s a moment of gratitude:

I have a full-time job and I am able to do every single day. There are women on the support group I recently joined who are years out from treatment and who still don’t have the energy to work full time.

So hey, look at me going to work every day.

I mean, hell, someone’s got to insure this family.

Wait, that wasn’t very nice, was it. Yikes, where did my fucking gratitude go?

Let’s try this again.

I can walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for air and having aching joints. That’s a positive.

I almost said I can run after Olivia but that made me stop and think about the last time I ran after her.

That would be like never. I read these women who say that they stay in shape by running after their little kids.

Whatever! How often do moms REALLY run after their kids? I mean, you corral those little suckers in a room, toss snacks at them and lounge on the couch with a book and some chocolate covered cherries. Who the hell is out there chasing their damn kids?

I can feel my fingers and toes. Which means I can walk without pain and braid Liv’s hair on a daily basis. This is truly something for which I am grateful, all sarcasm aside. There were times during my treatment that my toes were numb and it was hard to hold something as small as a bobby pin between my finger and thumb. I had a hard time putting earrings in O’s ears because I couldn’t hold on to the earring or the back.

So yeah, having the feeling back in my fingers and toes is freaking awesome.

The metallic taste in my mouth is mostly gone. I do sometimes still feel like my tongue is on fire or rubbed raw, which is gross and annoying but it’s not something that interrupts my day to day life. On the bright side, I can drink Coke now, so…yay?

Speaking of Coke, it seems like caffeine affects me much more these days than it did before. I can’t drink anything with caffeine in it after 4pm or my sleep is definitely going to be affected. That’s not fun at all.

Elective

On a Thursday in January, I took Olivia to an oral surgeon. The plan was for him to go in and expose a tooth (number 11 for those in the know) and attached a tiny chain to is so that her orthodontist can tug on that chain every few weeks to encourage that tooth to come down and join the rest of her teeth in her mouth.

Right now, there is a giant space between teeth 10 and 12, just waiting for 11 to make it’s appearance.

For the past several months I’ve called that tooth Ruthie. You know, as in Ruthie the Toothie. Cute, huh?

Yeah.

So Ruthie was all snug up there in Olivia’s head. She had no desire to join her toothie pals down in the tropics of Liv’s mouth. (eww)

But we’re resourceful around here. There are lots of people willing to take my money for elective procedures.

I mean, if we’re going to spend almost seven grand to straighten Liv’s teeth, why wouldn’t we spend another couple of thousand to make sure all her teeth are present and accounted for?

Right?

Right!

So we went in for the $100 (a drop in the proverbial bucket) consult and then went back for the actual procedure.

Wonder how that went?

No comments: