Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day

School in this area started back to day. Milestones were reached.



Alyssa started third grade, riding the bus to school with a couple of neighbor kids, stepping away from me with nary a tear. It was awesome. She's not the new girl this year, she knows what to expect and that's a good feeling for both her and me.

This was Olivia's first day of preschool. She was a bit pensive.


But also excited.


There were no tears from here at drop-off either. She's either braver than her sister was at that age or just more stoic. I'm going for the second option.

When I picked her up three hours after dropping her off, she was wearing a new green bracelet. Her teacher said it was because they had a rough start when they all returned to the classroom that morning. She said that Olivia got a little teary but never actually cried. Mrs. Fackler told me she wasn't sure how sensory Olivia is (not really all that much) and wasn't sure if she needed the bracelet to chew on, suck on or just play with.

Olivia stuck with wearing it because it was pretty and she's all about accessorizing and not so much about biting. Which is all good. Obviously O is Mrs. Fackler's first experience with a 5p- kid. I appreciate her effort to understand my girl.

From school, I took Olivia to lunch. It was her choice since she's done so well at her first day of school.

She chose...Chinese. We shared some Hot and Sour soup. Seriously. Olivia loves that stuff. I'm sort of afraid to step on the scale tomorrow morning. But whatever the outcome, it was worth it to share the afternoon with my preschooler.

We had to run to the doctor after lunch for her preschool physical. Her doctor was thrilled that she's in preschool. He thinks that so far, we seem to be doing everything right. Yay, go us! He also recommended we keep O (and A, for that matter) on whole milk. I mentioned to him that we were still giving it to them on the recommendation of Liv's developmental pediatrician back when she was two and tiny. He said there is no reason at this time to switch them. Neither of them have any sort of weight problem and the extra fat in the milk is good for their growing brains.

And then it was time to go meet Alyssa as she got off the bus.


She announced she'd had a GREAT first day, which is always nice to hear. She also told me gleefully that she didn't have any homework. But, she continued with even more mischief in her voice, I did have homework. So I got to work and filled out several forms that need to be returned to school asap and then...


We came home and flew kites. Olivia's been eyeing a kite that's hangs in our garage for weeks, asking several times a week if she can fly it. We keep telling her that it has to be windy. Today? It was windy. So we flew those kites. And it was a great way to end the start of what we're hoping is a great school year.





3 comments:

Just another mom said...

You are awesome...Just thought you should know :-)!!

Page said...

I finally got caught up with all your posts and enjoyed every one, like I usually do. :) I'm so happy that the girls had a good first day of school. It's always a relief to see smiles when they return.

Keep up the great work with your healthy eating/diet. You are doing an awesome job!

Love and Hugs,
Page

Tiffany said...

Yeah for a great first day!!!