Friday, March 30, 2012

Vacation Day

What did I do this morning while the girls were at their Gram's house?

One guess...yes, laundry.

And dusting.

And vacuuming.

And picking up clutter.

And it was awesome. There was no one following me around asking for a drink or food, or just handing me some random toy they were finished playing with.

Okay, to be fair, I also slept uninterrupted until 8:00 this morning. Oh my goodness, that was lovely.

Once upon a time, way back when I was in my late twenties and living in an apartment in Chicago, I would sleep in on the weekends, waking up when I was no longer tired. I don't remember that girl, that person who sometimes went an entire weekend without speaking to anyone except the cashier at the grocery store a half a block from her apartment building.

But I think I miss her. No, wait. I don't. I don't ever want to go back.

I'm blessed to be here, tired and overworked and all. I wouldn't change it for anything.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I'm still there, in that little studio apartment, sleeping, dreaming this life. If so, I don't want to wake up. Please, just let me stay asleep.

Though I'd be willing to dream of a few more vacation days like this one here and there. Let's leave out the little tiff Tom and I had earlier today as I was walking out the door to pick up the girls. That was stupid and pointless.

But the rest? Let's not change it. Let's not wake up and have it all vanish the way dreams tend to do upon waking.

No comments: