Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Tough Times

Last week was rough. I had a training/meeting/thing at work that lasted from Monday at 1:00pm until Friday at 10:30am. Sure, we got to go home each day at 5 (or 5:30 if we were REALLY lucky) but we had to be back at 7:00 the next morning. So yeah, I was very tired. I don’t like long hours at work. Which is why I have a job and not a career. My family is simply more important to me than my work. I work forty hours a week because it provides insurance and pays our mortgage, not because I’m changing the world or anything amazing.

I come to work, I fumble through my day, I go home and I fumble through the evening.

Sadly, neither work nor home get the best of me because I give just enough to each to not lose my mind while dealing with the other.

I’m pretty sure that’s not fair to anyone but the girls (and Tom and I) have to eat…so here we are.

We’ve had a lot going on that has nothing to do with work but since work has been crazy, I haven’t had a chance to write any of it down.

Alyssa was invited to join an honors choir which performed at a theater in Toledo (okay, Maumee, if you’re at all familiar with northwestern Ohio.) She loved every minute of it and my mom and I did too as we watched her perform. It’s just so great watching your kid get to do something she enjoys so much. Music is a huge part of her life and that she gets to embrace it and learn more and more is just awesome to witness.

We went to a play at a small theater in Michigan (Jonesville) because one of Lyss’s friends and that friend’s mom had roles in the play. It was The Beverly Hillbillies and Lyss’s friend was cast at Ellie May. She was simply adorable. Her mom was pretty great too.

Olivia chose to stay home from both of the above performances. She declared that they’d be boring and she’d rather stay home with her dad, not have to change out of her pajamas and just watch Monster High, thank you very much. I guess I’m lucky Tom wants to stay home from these things too. I’m also really lucky that my mom is willing to go to all of these things with me.

Olivia’s teacher went on maternity leave a couple of weeks ago. This has caused a little stress for Miss O and so we’re dealing with that as best we can, working with her special ed teacher and the sub who will be in her classroom for at least the next six weeks if not for the rest of the year. So that’s been fun too.

No comments: