Friday, December 7, 2018

Prayers

I believe in the power of prayer. I believe that God hears all prayers and He answers them. He may not give us the answer we wanted, but He listens and He loves us and when we’re broken He puts us back together. Sometimes, He puts us back together here in this life. But sometimes, we have to go to Heaven for Him to fix us.

I felt all the prayers that were said for me last year when I was got my diagnosis and was going through treatment. I joke that I was probably on the prayer lists of all the churches in a thirty mile radius of my house but honestly? That’s probably not a joke. I worked with about 40 people and they lived and worshipped in a lot of different places. My dad attends no fewer than three churches himself. I was lifted up in prayer by so many strangers and I’m so grateful.

I know that God hears even the smallest, loneliest prayer but I also know that there is strength in numbers and those people were so kind to say my name in prayer, to ask God for healing and strength.

My step-daughter could use some prayers. She’s struggling again (still?) She’s hurting so much and she’s so lost and it breaks my heart to know she just wants love. She seeks love in the worst ways, the least loving ways.

She visited us last Friday. She was fragile and broken and lost.

Her mom called me while J was at our house. She wanted to let me know that J can’t be trusted, that we shouldn’t let her stay at our house more than one night because it wasn’t actually safe for me and the girls to have her there.

Imagine feeling that way about your own child. I know that J is thirty-one years old but she’s still Tom and D’s child. She has a hole inside her that she’s trying to hard to fill with things that are so bad for her.

So I pray. I ask God to hold her tightly in His arms, to show her the way, to give her strength as she fights the demons that threaten to overtake her.

I’ve asked my mom and her sisters’ to pray too. J needs some prayer warriors right now so much. We need to shout her name to God, to remind him that one of His weakest is lost and needs His light, His love, His strength as she fights to find her way yet again.


No comments: