Thursday, August 22, 2019

One Year Now vs One Year Then

I recently celebrated(?) my one year anniversary at my ‘new’ job.

When I reached my one year anniversary at my last job, eighteen years ago, I took in cupcakes for everyone to share in my ‘big’ day.

Ha.

Hahahahahahaha.

My thirty year old self amuses me so much.

I was such a sweet girl with so very much time on my hands.

Let’s remember that back in those days, I was not only working forty hours at the job to which I took the cupcakes, I was also working about sixteen hours at the local newspaper as a proof-reader/sort-of-reporter.

Those were fun days.

But these days are fun too; just a different kind of fun.

Do I have to tell you that I did NOT bake cupcakes and take them to work on the first anniversary of my start date?

Well, if I do need to say it, let me say: I did NOT bake cupcakes and take them to work.

I didn’t have time.

Okay, so I could have made time. Cupcakes aren’t that difficult to make. But I had different things to do, things that took priority over sharing cupcakes with my ‘new’ coworkers.

The night before my anniversary, the girls’ school held its open house. Students and parents were invited to come and bring school supplies, get schedules, locker assignments and combinations, meet teachers, see classrooms, get bus schedules, etc. So much fun! Olivia whispered to me the entire time we were at the school. It’s what she does.

Alyssa put her notebooks and folders in her locker, got a job application for the Arby’s that is going in about three miles from our house and said hi to a few friends.

The Sunday before that, another day I could have baked cupcakes, the girls and I went to see a movie as a last ditch effort to wring the most out of a summer that is ending much too quickly.

We saw…get ready for it…the live action movie Dora the Explorer.

And get this, it was freaking adorable. Seriously. Sure, there were moments of sheer stupidity but it was seriously so much fun.

And best new yet? Olivia liked it so much that when she had to pee, she didn’t want to leave the movie. We did end up using the bathroom near the end but this is SUCH an improvement from when she has had to use the bathroom five times during a movie because she’s bored.

So yeah.

Life has changed for me a little bit since 2001. And I’m more than okay with that. That girl back in 2001 was lonely. She wouldn’t have admitted it for anything but she was lost and lonely and trying to figure out where she fit in the world.

Today? Honestly, I could use a little loneliness.

But seriously, I am so lucky to be where I am, in this moment in time. I’m lucky to have to try and find time to bake cupcakes…or not.

Here’s to more years with the ‘new’ job and many, many more years taking care of and loving my family.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you found your place.

Julie