Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rules

The rules are, there are no rules...

Okay, now that I've gotten my Grease reference out of of the way, the girls and I went for a walk today. We walked to my mom's house, which is a little over three miles from our house. We took the stroller so that Olivia wouldn't have to over-exert herself.

It took us an hour to make the walk. It was a lovely day for a walk. The breeze was cool, the sun warm.

During the walk, I came to a place of peace. I realized that I can make good choices for myself without having to make life changes all at once.

Choosing to go for a walk this morning doesn't mean that I'm committing to getting up at 4am from tomorrow until the end of time to run six miles before school/work.

Eating a salad for lunch doesn't mean I won't have ice cream for dessert after dinner.

But one good choice usually leads to more.

And so, with that in mind, I'm making no goals. I'm setting no limits. I'm just gonig to try and make each choice a good one. But I will try very hard not to beat myself up if I made a less than good one in the next five minutes.

Since we bought the house, Tom has lost some weight. He no longer has a stove at the Huntington house. Neither does he have a microwave. He does have a fridge, though.

But when I'm not around to cook and provide groceries, he's more likely to subsist on peanut butter sandwiches and coffee. If the bread runs out, he'll eat crackers with peanut butter.

The other day, he told me he's going to put away his size pants and just wear the size 32s because they fit better. Of course he's glad about this loss of weight. He looks good.

He mentioned that it's easy, though, when there just isn't food in the house.

I glibly replied, "Yeah, I think it's so unfair that grocery stores won't allow men inside."

He laughed.

I told him he doesn't need a stove (not that he'd use one, even if there were one in the house) to make ham sandwiches.

Am I jealous that his weight loss has been almost effortless? Of course. But then, I don't think I could do it this way anyway.

So...I'm attempting to let it go. I'm attempting to be happy for his lack of grocery shopping skills and concentrating on my own choices, one decision at a time.

No comments: