Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sugar Rush

I took my last vacation day of the year today so I could help out at both Alyssa's and Olivia's class Christmas parties.

I'm lucky this year that O is in the morning preschool, which makes her parties happen at 9:30 to 10:45. Alyssa's class parties are always at 1:30, so I get to go to both.

These events are fun. Chaotic, but fun. The kids were all wired and hopped up on sugar and excitement.

For O's class I made sugar cookies and frosting. We gave the kids unfrosted cookies, plastic knives and let them at the frosting. We called it a fine motor activtity. Hey, we use every opportunity we can as a learning one.

For A's class I was asked to bring drinks. What's a Christmas party without red and green Hawaiian Punch?

We also made snowball cake pops. They turned out cute but I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate so I wouldn't want to eat more than one bite but the kids sure got a kick out of them.

I wish I could say that I'm one of those moms who takes on a project like baking cookies or making cake pops and I involve my girls in every step.

But...I'm not so much that mom. See, it's really just easier for me to do it myself. I know, I know!! They're never going to learn if I don't let them help but it can be so frustrating.

But I did have Alyssa roll out the sugar cookie dough and cut out the tree and stocking shapes. I also let her help me roll the cake dough into balls. She even got to dip a few of the frozen cake balls in the white chocolate. But in the end, we ran out of white chocolate so I made a 9pm run to Walmart and by the time I got back, she was sound asleep and I 'had' to finish the project myself. I know I shouldn't have been relieved but...I'm nothing if not honest here, so there you go. It's one of my major flaws. I don't let my girls help out nearly enough in the kitchen.

I'll work on that. Honest.

But for now? Here's a picture of the snowball cake pops. Cute, huh?

No comments: