Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Blank

There was a morning recently where I stood in front of the timeclock at work and just…blanked. I walked in at 7:00am. The man in front of me clocked in. The dude behind me was waiting for me to clock in.

I grabbed my timecard and stood in front of the clock watching as the seconds ticked by, switching the clock from 7:00 to 7:01. And I froze.

It was a half a second before I said out loud, “What am I doing?”

The guy who’d just clocked in called out as he walked up the stairs to the sales office, “Clocking in.”

The guy waiting for me to get my dumb but in gear just laughed and said, “It’s Monday.”

I finally remembered the process of clocking in (um, you hold your card in front of the clock, it clicks, you tap ‘in’ on the screen…that’s it.) and went about my day.

But that moment of blanking was eerie.

I might be losing it over here.

No comments: