Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wonder Women

Alyssa has been watching my Wonder Woman DVDs lately. She's loving them. She loves that Wonder Woman is so strong. She has created her own bullet-deflecting bracelets, magical belt and golden lasso. She runs around the house 'throwing' Tom into corners and saving the world, one bad guy at a time.

The only thing missing from her costume is a black wig, which she worked hard to get me to buy last weekend while we were at Walmart. I resisted but admit, it was tough.

This fascination with Wonder Woman comes on the heals of her obsession with Star Trek: Voyager, especially Captain Kathryn Janeway.

As of two weeks ago, she wanted to be Captain Janeway for Halloween. As of last weekend, that has wavered and she can't decided between the captain and Wonder Woman. Poor kid, these kinds of choices are really tough. I'm thinking the next series I need to introduce her too is The Bionic Woman. Imagine what she can do as Jaime Sommers.

I love that she's enjoying these 'old' shows about strong womem. Women who are not just physically strong, but also very smart and very confident. I like that both Captain Janeway and Wonder Woman/Diana Prince show compassion even when confronted with stupidity, ignorance and evil. They aren't afraid to use their strength/power to get the job done but they don't let their power go to their heads.

I want that for my girls. I want them to grow up knowing that they can do anything they want, be anything they want. I want them to know that the world is theirs and they can do good things with this life. I don't want them to ever see being a woman as a handicap, as something that limits them.

The world is theirs and I want them to both go out there someday and make it a better place just by being themselves.

No comments: