Thursday, June 13, 2019

In Other News

I am so tired of hearing myself complain about walking for exercise and the misery that accompanies it.

So what else is new?

Oh, hey, yeah, Alyssa got a job.

She doesn’t start until June 13 but she’ll be a working girl then.

I know! Can you even imagine it?

She’ll be working at a scout camp on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8am to 7pm making food/snacks for the campers.

I’m so proud of her.

She was referred by her choir teacher who worked for the scout camp for nine years.

Lyss was originally interviewing to be a life guard but because of scheduling for training and Lyss’s own summer plans, that didn’t work out. But one of her besties, Tessa, is going to be doing the food thing at the camp too so that ought to be great fun for both of them.

Next week Alyssa is attending a three day high jump camp as suggested by her track coach. We’d already paid and registered for the camp when she interviewed for her job so that cut into the life guard training.

And then…THEN, she’s starting voice lessons the week after that. I know, we’re getting all worldly around these parts.

Olivia…well, she broke her tablet earlier this week.

Sigh. Poor kid.

But wait, it wasn’t completely her fault.

First of all, her dad was chasing her through the house, as he does.

Second, the case she carried her tablet in was wearing out. Lyss had duct taped it together for Liv so…yeah, it’s not that surprising that the tablet slipped out of the case and fell to its death on the kitchen floor.

Of course we’re going to replace it.

Sure, Liv shouldn’t have been carrying the tablet around but, well, these things happen.

When Alyssa heard we were going to replace the tablet because it’s not really fair for the rest of us to have phones/computers/tablets and Livie to not have anything, Lyss kind of shrugged and said, “It’s her fault it broke.”

To which I replied, “I don’t care.”

Apparently, I said that a little more harshly than I’d intended because Alyssa looked a little surprised at my response.

I tempered it with, “When you dropped your phone last weekend, if more than the case had been damaged, wouldn’t you have wanted to replace it as soon as possible?”

Well.

When you put it like that, Alyssa was quick to agree that Olivia needs (first world need, I fully admit) a new tablet.

Sure, she’s got a bunch of books, she’d got DVDs and Netflix/Hulu but being able to sit and do her thing on her own electronic device is just a nice way to spend an afternoon/evening.

So yes, we’re replacing it. And I’m fully aware that we’re lucky to be able to do so.

But hey, now that the community pool is open, Liv and I plan to spent many a Saturday afternoon there.

I’m also going to take the occasional hot Friday afternoon off and stuff myself into a swim suit and hit the pool with her. It will get her off the aforementioned new tablet and out in the fresh air and sun, getting us both some much needed exercise.

And that’s our plan for the summer.

No comments: