Thursday, February 4, 2021

Gym

Report cards came home for the second quarter.

I don’t think it was mentioned here that Olivia was on the honor roll for the first quarter. All As and Bs. That’s pretty awesome, don’t you think?

The second quarter was much the same except…well, in the first quarter, she had health class.

Health was replaced by gym in the second quarter.

Care to guess what she got in gym?

Let me just say that she didn’t fail gym, which, honestly, I think was probably generous of the gym teacher.

She ‘earned’ a D- in gym.

All the rest of her grades were As and Bs again. But gym class was a struggle.

Tom was pissed, by the way; not at Olivia, but at the gym teacher for giving her a D-.

I laughed. I mean, come on. It’s gym class. Who even cares about a D- in gym class.

Tom was worried that the D- would demoralize Olivia.

Hello, m’Dude, have you and I not been living with the same child for the past fourteen years? She could not possibly care less about grades, in gym class or any other class for that matter. Grades do not motivate her. Honor roll, schmonor roll.

And let’s be honest here, it’s not as if Olivia is in the running for valedictorian. I don’t say that to be mean, it’s just the truth. Even if she didn’t have 5p- syndrome, she doesn’t care enough about grades to be bothered with something like that. That kind of status means nothing to her.

I gently reminded Tom that when it comes to gym class, Olivia is incredibly uncooperative. She will not participate. I don’t know if she can even force herself to do so. But she doesn’t even try.

So, D- is most likely fair in a class where participation is the bulk of the grading criteria.

He was still pissy about the whole thing. When he walked away, Olivia and I shared a look. I whispered to her, “We don’t care about gym, anyway, do we?”

She grinned and shook her head. See…at least two of us in this house are on the same page. Too bad it's not always the same two.

No comments: