Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Lunch with a Judge

Alyssa’s class recently got to sit in on a Supreme Court case that was being heard in a nearby town.

She mentioned the night before they were going that one of the dudes in her class was going to have lunch with the judge.

I laughed and said, “Ohhh, how did he get so lucky?”

She shrugged and said, “The teacher asked the office for the three students with the top GPAs in our grade and they offered the opportunity to them. I said no.”

Way to bury the lede there, sister!

I mean, okay. I’m not actually surprised that she’s in the top three of her class. She’s a smarty pants who consistently (as in always) gets straight As but to have it confirmed is kind of awesome.

She asked later, “Can you imagine ME sitting down to lunch with a judge?”

“Sure,” I said. “You probably wouldn’t talk much but I can picture you there.”

She’s come a long way since her stint on the Quiz Bowl team in seventh grade. She sat there like a lump, never once buzzing in to answer a question, even though she knew some of the answers. She was quite shy then and while she’s still a bit reserved, she’s not nearly as withdrawn as she once was. Having started working, especially with the public has helped a lot.

And let’s not forget her performance background. Getting on stage, either alone or with a group, goes a long way toward helping a person come out of their shell.

All this to say I’m proud of the smart, sweet, funny girl she’s become and can’t wait to see what more she has to offer the world as she sets off to change it for the better.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow, good for her!! Riley told me that they will stop rankings in December. That seems weird to me but I guess that will take so much pressure off of everyone who cares about such things. She'll finish Top Ten percent which we'll take. But I'm so proud of Alyssa!! Did she tell which number of the Top 3 she is?