Friday, November 22, 2019

Mom = Tired

Tired = Mother’s Guilt

So each night for the past few weeks, when we go to bed, Olivia asks me if I’m tired.

Well, it’s bedtime, so yes, I’m tired.

She will often wonder aloud why I’m always so tired.

It’s like a knife to my heart.

And yet…I’m tired because even on the weekends when we get to sleep in, I still keep busy pretty much all day. While she’s lounging on the couch watching YouTube videos on her tablet I’m vacuuming and running laundry up and down the stairs and sweeping the kitchen floor and washing dishes and cooking meals.

On weekdays, I get up at 5:30am, work from 7ish until 4:30, go home and help with homework, make dinner, pack lunches, clean up the kitchen and then, FINALLY, around 8pm, sit down to watch an hour of television before we start our bedtime routine, which means I fall into bed around 10 because Olivia takes almost an hour to settle into bed.

But Mom? Why are you always so tired?

No comments: