Monday, January 11, 2021

A Little Late but Happy, Merry Everything

Now that my tooth is fixed (almost, I still have to go to the stupid dentist and have them 'finish up' what the ondodontist started) I can think about anything and everything else.

Christmas was good. It was lovely, actually. The only difference this year from the past few years is that we didn’t all gather at my mom’s for the afternoon.

Well, we did, as in, the girls and I went over to her hours for a couple of hours. My youngest brother was there with his dog.

The dog was depressed because Olivia hates him. He doesn’t understand that he’s a huge slobbery beast and she can’t stand the sight of him.

He’s fine, he’s just a big dog (she hates all dogs, not just the big ones but the big ones scare her the most.) and she doesn’t just hate dogs, she hates all animals, unless it’s a fish that can’t get out of its bowl, then she’s fine with it. But don’t introduce her to flippy fish that jump out of their bowls because if you do, fish will be move from the ‘okay, fine, whatever’ list to the ‘nope, no way, no how’ list. But animals with fur/hair that can walk up to her and touch her? No, thank you but no.

So Axe was sad because each time he went near her, she squealed and climbed on top of a chair. After her initial squeal, he’d slink away to lay beside my brother, his very favorite person and peer sadly over at Olivia, who would be scowling at him and asking her Gram why that dog wouldn’t just leave her alone.

The rest of us were glad to be together, even for a little while.

My other brother, the one between me and the youngest in age, was at home with his nuclear family. He and his wife aren’t so much the social distancing types and so my mom asked them kindly to not come over and share germs with her and her geriatric husband.

Tom stayed home because he’s even more germaphobic than ever and even though the girls and I would bring home anything he might have been exposed to had he gone to my mom’s himself, he chose to absent himself.

And it was fine.

We had fun, both at home and at Gram’s.

It was low-key and the older I get the more I like low-key things.

No comments: