Thursday, July 8, 2021

Anticipating the New Normal

Alyssa told me recently that her last day at her current job is July 30th. She’s planning to move to her college town in the days following her last day at work.

Yes, I have FEELINGS about this. However, I understand her reasoning for moving to College Town three-ish weeks before classes start. She wants to find a job (she plans to work about 15 hours a week) and just get settled in before school starts.

I get it. But yes, there are those FEELINGS. Those FEELINGS though, are mine to deal with, not hers. I want her to fly free and enjoy this time. I want her to embrace her freedom and her youth and wring the joy out of it all.

Her best friend is going to the same College Town and I’m so happy for them to be there together.

We’re going to miss her but remember, College Town is only an hour away. And even if she doesn’t come home often, just knowing she CAN come home will be enough.

So Olivia and I went away for the long 4th of July weekend. I took Friday, July 2nd off work and we went with my mom and my nephews to Battle Creek, Michigan for the weekend. We had great fun (though, seven year old nephew is a raging brat) and it was nice to just be for a bit.

But Lyss wasn’t there. She had to work that Friday and then planned to spend the weekend hanging out with friends. She was missed.

I felt like that weekend was a precursor to the coming months when she’s away at college. She will be missed.

Life will go on. Olivia and I will continue to do things together and Alyssa will come home and seamlessly fit back into our lives while she’s home but things will never, ever be as they were even a few months ago.

And yes, there are my FEELINGS again. They bubble up and threaten to erupt. I feel them and let them simmer and they calm down to manageable proportions.

We’ll be fine. It may be rough here and there but life is about change and embracing the new and exciting things that come your way. We’ll miss her but we’re so happy for her and there you have the push and pull of growing up.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ugh. I have FEELINGS about this post because I've been there and I am there. We did a dorm last year so she came home when the dorm was closed. She's in an apartment now so she'll be home a lot less and my FEELINGS are strong and I'm sad.