Monday, June 21, 2010

Now that's a celebration

Father's Day this year wasn't so much about Tom. Poor guy.

He actually spent it working on the dungeon that is our basement, attempting to make it a bit less dungeon-esque. We're hoping to sell the house VERY soon, and he wants to make it as livable as possible for the next owner(s). So what if we've lived in a virtual dungeon for the last seven years.

But whatever...

Father's Day didn't quite dawn the way I'd envisioned. I figured it would be like years past. I'd get up with the girls, make breakfast for everyone, we'd lay around in our pajamas all morning, get dressed around 11ish and so on.

Instead, the girls and I were dressed and heading out the door at 9am for the local Redi-Med.

Saturday found Alyssa laying around beneath a blanket in 90 degree weather. We do not have air conditioning in our house, so, no, it wasn't cold in there. Around 3pm, I had a sudden "Duh!" moment. I went and got the thermometer and took her temperature. It was 100.9. Definitely a fever. But she had no other symptoms so I continued as we'd been going all day. I gave her popsicles, lemonade, water, grapes, etc along with a dose of Kroger brand children's fever reducer.

Fevers don't really bother me all the much until their hovering around the 102 mark. Yes, let it be known that this is what we call foreshadowing...

Around 8pm Saturday night Olivia woke up from having fallen asleep at 6. She was extremely unhappy. She was also very hot. Her little hands were like fire.

I held her all night while she alternately shivered and sweated on me.

Sunday morning I took her temperature and it was 101.9. Right at that worry mark. I know.

Alyssa was down to 99.8, so still higher than normal but getting better.

Still, I wouldn't have packed them into the car for the trip to Redimed if it hadn't been for Olivia wailing at 6am that her ear hurt.

We don't take ear pain lightly in our house. Having had tubes placed in her ears at 8 months old, O has fought ear infections most of her life, poor baby.

So off we went. And it was confirmed, she's got infection in both ears.

We headed to Walgreens to fill her prescriptions and then to Walmart for donuts. Now that's a breakfast. Poor Tom didn't get his Father's Day breakfast, other than a chocolate iced donut. Obviously, he survived the disappointment.

And hey, we bought him a watermelon as a Father's Day gift. See, we were thinking of him, even in the midst of ear infections and fever.

By the way, Alyssa came away with a stern order to stay inside until she'd been fever-free for 24 hours without medication. But no ear infections for her, so I'm counting that as a plus for the day.

No comments: