Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Check It

I took Olivia to the doctor last Tuesday for her four year check up. Sure, sure, we were four days early if you want to be technical, but I figured she probably wasn't going to have a sudden growth spurt in those last few days of being officially three.

She is always so good at the doctor's office.

I'm not sure what past-life trauma Alyssa suffered but she's always hated the doctor's office. It never mattered which doctor she was seeing or why, she screamed, fought and made a menace of herself.

Olivia, on the other hand, has always been quite charming during visits with doctors. Which is fortunate, because she's seen so many more doctors than Alyssa's ever had to see.

We entered the doctor's office armed with the fact that while she'd had the sniffles for the past week, Olivia was in general, doing well.

She weighs 33 pounds (I'm calling this a win) and is 40 inches tall. Which puts her (according to my less than professional ability to read growth charts) at the 75th percentile for height and around the 50th for weight. And that's not adusting for any syndrome or genetic anomoly. It's just putting her up there with every other four year old.

So yay.

On the less than celebratory side, we left with a prescription for an antibiotic. Remember those sniffles? Apparently, they're something a little more. She had swollen glands and a red throat. No official diagnosis, just medicine to make her feel better.

Parenting fail.

Ahhh well. As there was never any fever or more than just a post-nasal drip kind of cough, I just didn't catch that she was sicker than just the sniffles. So...you win some and all that jazz, right?

Right.

After a full week of antibiotics, she's feeling pretty good these days. Which is always a bonus because when you're four, there is always much to do.

There are cousins to annoy, sisters to poke, cats to chase and grandmothers to use as trampolines. Not to mention the mothers you can use as space heaters.

Yes, all in all, it was a good check up. Great even, since it saved us a trip to the doctor this week to take care of those sniffles that probably would have escalated into something much worse had they not been caught early.

Oh yes, I've managed to turn my parenting fail into a win. Go me!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good for you indeed! 33 lbs is awesome! Olivia is almost 10 and she still weighs 46 soaking wet! ;)

bad breath said...

hope this helps you. I had awful bad breath and tonsil stones. thank god my only friend told me to check Oraltech Labs advice as it got rid of her bad breath and her post nasal drip. I've been following Oraltech Labs advice for about 4 months now and I feel much better, also at work people are not avoiding me anymore so it seems to have cured my bad breath as well, so good luck. Jenny NY