Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Once Again - My Hero

Today is our anniversary. Tom and I got married (maddied? MADDIED!!) fourteen years ago today. We stood in front of our closest family and friends and promised to love one and other in sickness and in health and blah blah blah.

And here we are, fourteen years later, loving each other in sickness.

Can I just say how amazing this guy has been these past six weeks since we got my diagnosis? He has been a rock; a laundry washing, dinner cooking, dishes doing, yard working rock. He’s continued to do everything he already did around the house and yard and has taken on about 90% of what I once did around the house. (Please note I didn’t add the word yard to my own sentence. I’ve never been one to do much yard work in our 14 years of marriage. Please don’t judge me too harshly.)

The first few days after my surgery he was very much on top of making sure I took my pain meds. By Friday, when I’d decided I wasn’t taking the prescription pills anymore because they made me feel worse than the pain of surgery, he respected my decision and just continued to offer food and a constantly full pitcher of water.

Each time I’d wake from a snooze, he’d be nearby, asking if I needed anything.

There were a few times I’d wake up from a nap in the recliner and find Tom on the couch, snoozing too. I find something comforting in the fact that he wanted to be near me even while I slept the morning away.

He’s gone to doctor’s appointments with me and waited over an hour for a fifteen minute appointment. This is a guy who HATES waiting for other people to deign to present themselves to you. He’s done this because even though he hates waiting, he doesn’t want me to have to wait alone. He waited in the hospital through two surgeries and endured countless visits with my dad because, well, he wanted to be there for me.

While getting a cancer diagnosis sucks, I feel so lucky to have this guy by my side as I face treatment. He’s being strong when I can’t. He’s making dinner when I need to rest. He’s paying the bills while I sit on my butt and heal. He’s loving me through it all and I can’t possibly ask for more than that.

And we have all the faith in the world that this is a blip in our lives and we’ll find our way back to loving each other in health instead of in sickness.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I was there that day with you and I wish I could be there with you now.