Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Other Monday

The Monday after a long holiday is rough.

Of course I slept in every day of the long 4th of July weekend which meant it was hard to fall asleep at a decent time on Sunday night. And that means I woke up tired on Monday morning when the alarm went off at 5:15. Obviously I snoozed it four times before dragging my butt out of bed at 5:35.

I slogged my way through the work day.

I’d started the day thinking I got to leave work early (ish…I had a 4pm physical therapy appointment and I usually leave the office at 4:30.) Alas, it was not to be. I got a call from the PT office before 10:00 that morning letting me know that my therapist was out sick. But could I come in at 10am on Wednesday?

Sigh.

10am on Wednesday is the MOST inconvenient time and day of the week. I’m not even being the queen of hyperbole about this. Any other day of the week, 10am is annoying but on Wednesdays, it’s even more of a bother.

I took the appointment because I just want to get that first PT session out of the way. I’ll figure out my Wednesday after that.

Back to Monday, though! Geez, these tangents are annoying as hell. Who’s writing this thing?

So I didn’t get to leave early that day. I worked my whole nine and a half hours and then went to Walmart so I could exchange a shirt the girls and I got for Tom for his birthday. He needed a different size.

After that, I finally schlumped into the house only to be greeted by a chipper little Olivia, who immediately asked, “Can we go to Gram’s?”

My shoulders slumped and I sighed but I handed her my phone and told her she needed to call Gram to make sure she was home.

Yes, Olivia will speak to my mom on the phone. It’s pretty cool, actually.

My mom was home and so away we went.

We visited until almost 7:00. When we got home, Tom had food ready for Liv. He also informed me that there was leftover pizza for me.

I didn’t want leftover pizza. I informed him of that. I invited him to eat the leftover pizza himself.

I, very maturely (except, no, it was quite the bratty tone I used) told him that I’d rather not eat anything at all than eat that leftover pizza.

He sat down to fight with Olivia over her dinner and I went into the living room and settled on the couch because I couldn’t bear to watch their battle.

I want to just put food in front of her and let her eat it or not. Tom is willing to sit with her and literally spoon the food into her mouth.

That’s his war, the one he’s willing to die over.

I took a nap on the couch rather than deal with them and dinner.

I ended up sleeping on the couch from 7:30 until 9:30, at which point, I told Olivia it was time for bed and off we went.

I’ll take sleep over a food fight (ha!) any day of the week.

No comments: