Friday, September 14, 2018

Building Endurance

So I’ve completed four weeks at my new job.

The first week, I was tired. So tired. So very, very tired. I went to be each night at 9 and slept until 6, not even getting up in the middle of the night to pee. I’m 47 and have had two kids, that’s saying something.

My back ached that first week at work no matter what I was doing. I could have been sitting down at the computer, or standing up filing, or stuffing envelopes. It didn’t matter, I hurt. I ached because some of my muscles weren’t used to not sitting in a recliner for hours at a time.

You know the scientific saying about inertia? The one that says that objects in motion stay in motion, blah blah blah?

Yeah, that one. Well, while I was at rest, I wanted to stay at rest.

But I’m building endurance. I’m getting stronger.

I can stay up until at 10 most week nights. I still sleep pretty much through the night but I’m not so tired I can’t keep my eyes open past 9pm.

My body doesn’t hurt like it did that first week. I’m already stronger. I’m used to sitting in a regular chair or being on my feet.

If my old job hadn’t been eliminated (it was sent to England…hip hip cheerio) I would have worked through chemo and radiation. I would have kept moving and stayed strong. Sure, I’m glad I got to spend the summer with my girls but there’s definitely something to be said for staying in motion.

I’m so grateful for this new job, this new lease on life. I’m still tired sometimes but I know that I’ll keep getting stronger, keep building endurance and keep living. That’s the whole point, right?

No comments: