Monday, July 7, 2014

Sparkling

We skipped fireworks this year. The girls and I made it to the annual Fourth of July parade and Tom arrived just as it ended. Last year he surprised us by showing up just before it started but since he didn’t bother to ask me when it started this year, he missed it completely.

He did, however, arrived just in time to join us at the lake. Which is always awesome because when you have two kids with very different swimming skills having two capable adults around to divide and conquer is the only way to go.

My mom and step-dad joined us at the lake, watching Tom help Olivia build a sandcastle while Alyssa and I frolicked in the water. Later my sister-in-law brought my nephew to join us, which was a great surprise for A and O.

We ended up staying at the lake for about four hours. On the way home, my mom and I talked about what time we’d go to see fireworks. She mentioned maybe going somewhere other than to her sister’s house and I said that if she did, the girls and I would stay home. I assured her that if that happened, we’d be perfectly happy.

When the girls and I got home, Tom was already there and I mentioned the possibility of not going to see fireworks. He grinned at the idea of us all staying home.

We’re boring, folks. It’s true. If we can stay home, we do. Yes, we get out as often as possible but really, we’d all four rather just be at home. We can’t help it. The boring has been bred into us and we’re passing it down, generation after generation.

I told Alyssa to go shower as soon as we got home because, well, duh, swimming in a lake is gross and we’d done that all afternoon.

After A’s shower was done, I put O into the tub and then showered too.

As soon as I was done in the shower, my mom called to let me know what her plans were. And, happy Fourth to us all, she was going out of town to another sister’s house and that meant we got to stay home!! Whee! Happiness settled across the land and independence was celebrated by all.

Olivia was sound asleep by 8:30 that night, way before it was dark enough for fireworks.

The next night, Alyssa went to a friend’s house so last night, on the Sixth of July, to celebrate the season and Tom’s birthday, the girls got to use the sparklers my sister-in-law got them. We also terrorized Orville with poppers.

Hope everyone else out there celebrated the holiday weekend in just the way that works for them and their family.

No comments: