Monday, July 21, 2014

Vacation

I took last week off. The whole week! I haven’t taken an entire week off work in the fourteen years I’ve worked at this job. It was lovely to have a week off.

My mom and I took the girls and a friend of Alyssa’s to Cedar Point (an amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio) for two days and then the girls and I just spent the rest of the week at home. We tried the local community pool one afternoon but temps in the seventies just aren’t conducive to a relaxing swim. Instead we all shivered and shook and called it quits after forty-five minutes. We decided to warm up with ice cream.

One afternoon while the girls played together in their room, I painted a closet. The closet is still waiting for me to put the shelving back in but hey, the paint is dry now.

We also managed to visit some friends. Another family in this area has girls the same age as A and O, so we spent about five hours at their house last Friday. They have a pool and a pond. Alyssa friend N taught Alyssa how to fish and Alyssa actually caught two fish. N had to bait Alyssa’s hook and take the fish off the hook and throw them back in the pond but Alyssa was so, so proud of her catches.

Olivia managed to interact with the three other girls that were her own age. I was very proud of her. She didn’t actually talk TO any of them but she talked to me in a very audible voice while they were around so they knew she could talk. I’m hoping this helps at school, which starts in a month. Yikes!

I do realize how lucky we are to be able to go on even short little vacations like the one we took. I like that we’re creating memories with the girls, that we are making traditions and enjoying our time together. On the drive home from Cedar Point the girls were already discussing which rides they are going to ride when we go back next summer.

One of these years we’ll convince Tom to go along for the ride…

No comments: