Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I Showed Restraint

In my work I often open boxes that are shipped here via UPS. These boxes are usually dirty, often banged up and sometimes freaking heavy.

But today was the first day that when I turned a box upside down, something alive fell out of it.

It was an inchworm of some sort.

I didn’t scream. I’m proud that I did not scream. But I did shudder and look away. These things are grosser than gross. It was so disgusting.

I have a thing about worms. They’re horrible, nasty, panic-inducing creatures. They’re awful. I have to do a sort of weave step when coming up the walk at work after a rain because of all the worms that have been washed up by the rains.

It’s like a nightmare.

I know most people aren’t bothered by worms. Good for most people.

A worm once touched my big toe and I had a panic attack. My disgust of worms is that bad.

So when that thing fell out of the box and then lay on the floor squirming (what a horrible word!) I did what anyone else would do.

I tried to ignore it. But it was there, squirming and wriggling and I couldn’t do my work knowing it was there. I had to walk around it and it was in a very inconvenient spot.

Since ignoring wasn’t working, I found a new solution. I went and got the janitor and asked if he could help me. I told him he could laugh at me all he wanted but I needed his help and I couldn’t deal with this issue on my own. He asked me if there was a spider in my work area. Ha! I laughed and said, “No, spiders I can squish all by myself. This is so, so much worse.”

I figured he’d get a tissue, dispose of the beast and all would be well.

No. No, that’s not what happened. He picked that creature up with his bare hand and carried it outside and let it go. OMG!!! I shuddered and twitched and thanked him for his heroism.

I thanked him for not squashing it right where it lay and then leaving it’s disgusting corpse for me to have to try and ignore while I worked. I don’t think I could pick up the corpse of the thing even with a tissue. I KNOW I couldn’t have picked it up while still alive, not even with a tissue.

Ugh. Ew. Ew, ew, ew. I just…yuck!

No comments: