Sunday, April 1, 2018

Sprigs

Okay, so I've been posting weekly pictures of my hair. I've been posting them here, on FB and on Instagram. Part of the reason I'm doing this is because I like having a record of how things are going. And yes, it's funny. I mean, I have like seven sprigs of hair on the top of my head but damn if they're not growing.

My mom swears that this is exactly how my hair grew in when I was a baby/toddler. She says I was bald until I was almost two and when my hair did finally make an appearance the last place it grew was on the top of my head. So...okay, it's coming.

But right now I feel like I look like a dude with male-pattern baldness. The hair on the sides and the back of my head is pretty thick. At least thick enough that you can't really see my scalp much anymore. But the top? It's shiny and well, kind of ugly.

Just saying.

I try to post each week without using Snapchat filters because I want to be real and honest. But I'm getting a little tired of real and honest. I know it's just hair. I know it's growing every day and new sprigs are probably popping up. But from week to week, even though the comments on FB are so kind and nice about how fast it's growing, I don't see much difference. I still see my scalp and I'm tired of it.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm just keeping it real. Even though I can laugh about it, there are moments when I get discouraged and frustrated and just want this whole cancer chapter of my life to be over.

But you know by Wednesday, I'll be over this little moment in time and will post yet another "How's My Hair" pic. It's what I do.

And on the slightly brighter side, on Saturday, I had serious bedhead (even though I was awake from 2am to 7am watching Sharknado movies...I think my ear infection was keeping me awake) and kept complaining about how messy the left side of my hair was. I looked like a freaking baby chicken. My sweet Alyssa protested that I did NOT look like a chicken but I think she just looks at me through the eyes of love and couldn't see the mess that was on my head.

This too will pass and I will continue to laugh about more than I lament it. But I want to continue to be honest about it all, the laughter AND the lamenting. If I can't do that then what's the point?

2 comments:

Julie said...

Okay, my new request is those really dark crazy eyebrows like old ladies draw on. The ones that make them look astonished.

Tommie said...

Alyssa loves doing my eyebrows. I'll have her do them for me and send you an unfiltered picture. :-)