Thursday, September 17, 2020

Refresh

I painted my bathroom over Labor Day weekend. Yes, I painted this room when we first moved into this house ten years ago. No, I have not yet painted the bedroom to which this bathroom is attached.

I have to take these refreshes slowly. The bathroom is much smaller than the bedroom and I just didn’t have it in me to attack the big paint job just yet.

But I’m getting there.

The bathroom looks so much better now. The old paint, which was great when it first went on, was a soft white, maybe what you might call a warm white. I think it was called Soap Bubble White.

The new paint is also white, but it’s a cooler white. It has a blue undertone and it had really brightened the room. The finish this time is also glossier, which should make wiping down the walls so much easier.

I started this project about at 11 on Sunday morning. And by ‘start’ I mean, I took everything out of the bathroom, cleaned off the countertop, wiped everything down, dusted the light fixture, took the covers off the electrical fixtures, took the pictures off the walls, taped off the trim, took the towel rack down from the wall and laid plastic across the counter where I planned to put the paint can and the tray into which I was going to pour the paint.

That took me over two hours.

I started painting at 1:30.

Can I interject here and say that I actually hate painting? It’s tedious, it’s boring, it’s messy. I’m not good at doing the edging. I’m not nearly neat enough to pull this off.

But! That first swipe of new paint going on the old dingy paint is so satisfying.

I finished painting at 4pm, so…two and a half hours isn’t bad.

After the new paint was on the walls, I hated to put all the crap clutter that was in that room before.

So…I didn’t. I went through the little organizer I’ve kept my makeup in for years and purged. I was ruthless. I didn’t think to myself, “Well, maybe someday.” Nope, if I hadn’t used it in the past six months, out it went.

And it felt so good! Some of that stuff was YEARS old. Makeup has a shelf life, you know. I should have tossed most of it years ago.

I moved some pictures around, I rehung the curtains (I should have washed them first…maybe next weekend?) and I started purging the crap in the medicine cabinet. That stuff is years old too. Yuck.

I love going into that bathroom now. It’s just so clean and bright.

All I need now is to put up a shelf above the toilet and put a plant on it. That well behind the toilet gets afternoon light and putting a little green in there will just be lovely.

OMG. Is this turning into a decorating/design blog? Hahahaha, no. I’m not nearly confident enough in my own choices for something like that.

No, tomorrow we’ll likely return to our regularly scheduled rant about homework...or not.

No comments: