Friday, April 13, 2012

K-Testing, Tears and ENts

I took a vacation day today because O's kindergarten/kinderkids testing was scheduled for 10am. Alyssa also had a doctor's appointment at 2:30 to discuss a possible referral to an ENT.

The kindergarten testing...ahhh, Livie.

It was going just fine. I got there early, told the office I'd be taking Olivia home with me after the tests, also that I'd be picking Alyssa up at 2:00 for the day. I went to O's preschool class to get her for the k-testing. She was happy to see me, told me she had to pee and all was well with her little world.

We got to the media center, I sat down to start filling out the paperwork and Olivia went willingly with one of the kindergarten teachers.

I managed to get her name written on one line before hearing a sob and seeing a blur as Olivia made her way toward me.

It seems the physical education teacher, a large MAN was the one who was conducting the testing to make sure the kids could hop, touch their elbows, etc.

This freaked Olivia RIGHT out. She sobbed into my shoulder anytime any of the other teachers came near her. She wasn't having anything to do with them from that point on.

Unless, of course, I was by her side.

And so that's how the testing went. I went from station to station with her and she told me the answers to the questions the teachers asked her. She kept her voice quiet, as if she's unable to project at all. Big faker!

But none of this was surprising. When we were done with the testing, I went back to the paperwork and then we headed down to the nurse's office where O got three boosters. Now that was a surprise to her. She wasn't amused at all.

But the donut we got her at the grocery store afterward went far to making it up to her.

I'm fully anticipating the teachers suggesting that she attend kinderkids next year, a step toward kindergarten but not full-day, full-blown kindergarten and all the academics that entails.

So that's that.

Alyssa is congested and pretty much doesn't know it because it seems to be her constant state. She doesn't even realize how crappy she must feel because she always feels like this.

The doctor looked in her ears, declared them vaguely infected (she's been on antibiotics for strep since Tuesday.) He looked up her nose and said her adenoids are enlarged and inhibiting her breathing.

Her tonsils are also enlarged and her throat is still red from the strep.

He wrote us a prescription for another antibiotic to be filled after she finishes the current one and gave us a sample of Flonase. She's supposed to use it twice a day for a week to see if it improves her breathing and makes her feel any better.

She keeps insisting that she feels fine but...what if she doesn't realize how much better she could feel?

If the nasal spray doesn't seem to do any good, I will call next week for a referral to an ENT to discuss the removal of her tonsils and adenoids. I want her to feel better, even though she doesn't even realize that she CAN feel better. The poor kid always looks pale and on the verge of sickly.

So...things are looming. Kindergarten/kids, ENTs, possible surgeries, oh my.

No comments: