Friday, April 20, 2012

Trust

A very good friend of the family passed away earlier this week. As I was planning to attend the funeral this morning, I didn't go to the visitation last night. My aunt and uncle, though, wanted to go. The problem? They're currently caring for their two and a half year old granddaughter, Stella. Stella's parents are in the midst of moving and so she's been with her grandparents for about a week. My aunt called me yesterday to see if I'd watch Stella while they went to the visitation yesterday evening. Of course I said I would. In fact, I was flattered that they trust me enough to leave their charge in my care. When they got here, Stella had just woken up and was clingy and hungry. She didn't want to let go of her pawpaw's neck. We put of the exit of Stella's grandparents as long as we could but then they realized that they just needed to go. Pawpaw put her down and started to walk awah. Stella protested. But then...she spied a balloon across the room and went after it. With her distracted, her grandparents left quietly and quickly. And you know what? She was fine. She stated once that she missed her pawpaw. I assured her he'd be back for her very soon and she accepted that as the truth. I am so grateful for family, for the fact that I'm close enough to have aunts and uncles and cousins and first cousins once removed and brothers and grandparents surrounding us. I love that we can take a couple of hours out of our evening and help family out, or just spend a little time together. And to prove that Stella did actually not spend her entire time here in a heap of tears, I took a few pictures of the girls.
and
As much fun as it was having Stella here, Tom and I agreed that we're glad we've through the twos and don't have to look forward in fear at the coming threes.

No comments: