Friday, August 7, 2020

Simplifying

I read several blogs and follow a few Instagram that talk about downsizing and simplifying their lives.

I don’t necessarily want to downsize. I kind of like my 2600 square foot house. I love that Tom, the girls and I can all go to our separate corners when needed.

But I would like to simplify our lives and our stuff. We have so many things, clutter that just makes our huge house look messy and disorganized. Of course, the fact that everything IS disorganized doesn’t help.

So…what do I do first?

Purge the stuff?

Probably.

Some days, though, it feels like a monumental task and I don’t even know where to start. I know that if I start small it will feel less overwhelming.

At work one day, I realized that I currently have 17 different kinds of oils for my diffuser. I probably only like about half of those but I try and use all of them through the week just to try and use them up. That’s so stupid.

But! I told myself recently that I am NOT allowed to buy any more oils until I use up some of the ones I already have. See, I can practice a little restraint.

Speaking of oils and diffusers, I have at least seven different oils upstairs for the diffuser by my bed. The problem is, I think I only like two or three of those. I need to offer the others to Alyssa for her room. The problem I have with at least one of them is that it smells like Desitin, you know, the cream you wipe on a baby’s butt to prevent diaper rash. Yeah. Not necessarily what you want to smell as you’re trying to fall asleep.

That’s one area I could organize and simply.

Look at me, already working through where to start. This whole stream of consciousness thing might work out for me yet. Only too bad for the three of you who still read here, having to wade through my ‘deep’ thoughts.

No comments: