Thursday, December 23, 2010

New Glasses

A few weeks ago, I told Tom that we had almost $900 to spend in our flexible spending account. I'd already spend almost two hundred dollars buying bandaids and otc medicines to last us well into 2012. I wasn't sure where we were going to spend the rest of the money.

Tom's been wearing glasses from Walmart and drug stores for the past few years as his eyes have become more and more...well, old. He's never needed glasses before that typical far-sightedness that tends to come with reaching one's mid to late forties.

In the time I've known him, he hasn't ever seen an eye doctor.

This was remedied in the past few weeks.

I made the appointment, but he actually kept it.

And yesterday, he picked up his new glasses.

When I was eleven years old, I got my first pair of glasses for myopia. I was amazed that the leaves were actually separate on the tree.

Tom felt the same way yesterday. He couldn't get over how clear everything was. Of course, he now has to get used to the bi-focals but just being able to see so well is an adventure.

My husband is still fairly anti-doctor but I think this experience has been positive enough that I may be able to convince him to get an actual physical in the next year or so.

It's probably only been twenty years or so since the last.

Men...sometimes, they're worse patients than their children.

No comments: