Monday, August 27, 2012

A Ballet Bun and a Piano

Before we headed to the lake yesterday, Olivia asked me to put her hair in a ballet bun. Now, her hair is amazing these days but bun length…it’s just not quite there yet.

I did the best I could. I pulled it into a high ponytail and then, with the last twist of the ponytail holder, I left her hair folded under. It was bunnish enough for her. In fact, she loved that ballet bun. She pirouetted her way around the bathroom, down the stairs. Okay, wait. She didn’t actually pirouette down the stairs. That would have been quite a sight, don’t you think?

But once she made her way down those stairs, she pirouetted her way through the living room, into the kitchen and into the family room searching for someone, anyone, to show her ballet bun to.

Tom made all the appropriate ooohs and aaaaahs at her bun and she pranced away, happy with the acclaim she’d received.

She told me she was going to swim with her ballet bun. I told her that was a wonderful idea.

Alyssa, on the other hand, prefers to let her hair flow free, even though I’ve explained so many time (SO. MANY. TIMES.) that if she’d let me braid it or even just put it in a ponytail before she swims she’ll save herself so much pain that comes from tangles. She doesn’t care. She will not swim with her hair confined in any way. Her hair must be free. Free!!!

Whatever. I sometimes forget that kids are actually their own people and not an extension of me.

On our way home from the lake we met my mom at one of her sister’s house. Aunt E had a piano she wanted to get rid of. Tom nixed the idea of us moving it into our house so my mom decided to make room for it. But my mom and step-dad needed Tom’s help loading the thing into his truck and then getting it into the house when they got home.

The kids flipping love it. They pounded on that thing all evening. I even managed to teach Alyssa a one-handed version of Mary Had A Little Lamb. I know, who knew I could teach piano, considering I’ve never played one in my life. And although I did play the flute for seven years, I’ve never really considered myself a musician. I was never really good enough to own that title. But I do plan to continue to help Alyssa. Aunt E was kind enough to give my mom all her beginner piano music books.

The fun never ends around here, is what I’m saying.

No comments: