Friday, February 20, 2015

Hard and Fast Rule

Anyone who knows me in real life knows I’m a pretty easy going mom. And by easy going, I mean that I don’t have a lot of hard and fast rules for parenting. Wanna wear a princess dress to town? Go for it.

Wanna play on your tablet while I make dinner so you’ll not lay on the kitchen floor directly behind me? Sure, no problem, at least I’m not tripping over you while holding a knife.

But when Olivia tried to bring a blanket to the dinner table last week, I put my foot down. “You are not sitting at the table wrapped in a blanket,” I told her.

“But I’m cold,” she replied.

“So go put your pants back on!” I insisted.

She huffed and she puffed and she took the blanket back to the couch. She then went to the basket by the basement door, took the pants she’d tossed on top of the pile of other dirty clothes and brought them to me to help her put them on.

“Why do I have to wear pants?” she asked.

“Because, if you’re cold, you need to be fully clothed instead of bringing a blanket to the table,” I informed her. “Besides, it’s just good manners to wear pants to dinner.”

She rolled her eyes and went to the table, this time fully clothed.

Maybe I’ve crossed the line into ‘strict mom’ territory but I don’t think it’s too much to ask that my children wear pants to dinner.

2 comments:

Julie said...

OH MY GOSH! I have had almost EXACTLY the same conversation with my child. NO BLANKET at dinner. Put on clothes. Sheesh. We are mean moms.

robin said...

LOL I don't think that makes you a strict mom! Pants at the table is pretty baseline !! haha