Monday, August 8, 2016

Not Ready for School

Several times this weekend, Olivia asked me if she had school on Monday.

I reminded her that Summer Intervention was over and she had all this week off; that she could stay in her pajamas all day if she wanted to.

She’d give me a small smile and then inform me, “I’m not ready for school to start back up.”

I’d tell her, “I know. Neither am I. Summer goes too fast, doesn’t it?”

She nodded and asked, “What if we lived where it was always summer?”

“You mean like you never had to go to school because summer vacation never ended?”

She grinned and nodded enthusiastically, “Yeah, what if?”

“Well,” I pretended to think about it. “You’d still have to learn stuff so I guess Dad would have to teach you here at home. Except that would be bad because you two can’t get along and you’d fight more than you’d learn.”

“Or you could teach me,” she suggested.

“I could but then we’d have to figure out a way for me to work from home because how could I teach you and go to work?”

She had a very quick solution to that one. “Dad could go to work!”

I laughed when Tom popped his head in from the kitchen, having obviously listened to this entire conversation.

“But how would everything around here get done if he had to go to work?” I wanted to know.

She didn’t have an answer to that one. But the wheels are turning.

She might not be ready for school to start back up in just over a week, but Olivia’s brain is already working hard at coming up with solutions to issues she deems problems.

No comments: