Thursday, May 7, 2020

Schooling At Home

I can't say we're homeschooling around here. That's not what's happening. I am not making lesson plans, figuring out how to grade those lessons, finding ways for the girls to learn outside the home, blah blah blah.

I love that homeschool is an option for those who want it.

We don't want it.

We never did.

But again, that's not what we're doing around here.

We're going online each day where Olivia's teacher has posted assignments and we're completing then. Then O's teacher will grade them.

Each week we meet with O's teacher via Zoom. Olivia types message during these meetings because even at home, she won't talk to her teacher. Sigh.

Reading can take anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour. It just depends on the day and how attentive Olivia is.

I try hard to keep her on task, which she takes as rushing her. I do not rush her. I just try to keep her focused.

You guys? Her teachers and aides deserve so much more than a stupid box of chocolates each Christmas for putting up with her.

I don't know. Maybe she's more beastly with me because I'm her mom but she can be a nightmare.

And yet, there are days when she's fine.

At least she has a sense of humor about her own quirks. Recently she said, "At least I can't scribble on the Chrome Book."

Indeed.

For posterity, Alyssa's schooling is great. She's self-motivated, attentive and competitive. She does the work as soon as her teachers assign it. She has even lamented that each teacher only assigns work one day a week. I think she'd like to have each teacher assign a little more because she's bored.

She is working out daily, which is obviously more than I can say. She declared one evening this week, "I better come out of this quarantine buff."

Ha.

For what it's worth, the last day any assignments will be posted is Friday, May 15th. The week after that is Right to Read Week and then it's the official last day of school. So we really only have one more week of school left.

That's a relief for all of us. Bring on the Summer of Quarantine. Can you tell I'm kind of over 2020? I do realize that I'm not alone in this sentiment.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I read somewhere that we are all going to come out of this as a chunk, a hunk or a drunk. LOL