Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bussy-ness

I dropped Alyssa off for school this morning for her sixth morning at her new school.

This was the first morning with no tears.

Of course, there were no tears because I dropped her off.

And she went to the office with me and heard me tell the lady in the office that we're changing Alyssa's plan of travel for to and from school.

She'll be parent drop off and parent pick up.

I know...I said last week (at least, I said it on Facebook, probably not here though) that she was going to start riding the bus to and from my mom's house as of yesterday.

Last week was rough for Alyssa. She cried on Wednesday night (first day of school) for an hour before bed. She was tired. She was scared. She was terrified of the idea of the bus.

So I drove her every day last week. And there was only a half hour of tears on Thursday night. There were no tears on Friday because YAY, it was Friday!!

On Saturday evening, she started crying again. I muttered a frustrated, "You don't even have school tomorrow, why the heck are you crying?"

She mumbled something about the bus.

My mom, who happened to be visiting, asked Alyssa if she'd feel better if I took her to school and either my mom or Tom picked her up.

Alyssa perked right up. That was JUST what she wanted.

And yeah...we gave in.

But see, my reasoning is that this is all so new. The school, the house, the people, the routines, the bus...

She's never, ever ridden a bus to or from school and I feel like we should give her time to get used to everything else before throwing her on the bus and making her fend for herself.

I know, melodramatic much? But...it's how it's going to be. I timed it. I can drop her at school and still make it to work on time.

So we'll do it this way and re-evaluate the situation in a month or so.

As I keep reminding her, soon she won't be the new kid anymore. And once she's used to everything else, on the bus she goes. (Yeah, famous last words, right?)

No comments: