Saturday, January 26, 2013

Building Friendships

Once upon a time, I had a lot of friends. Elementary school, high school and college were all very conducive to building friendships. You were tossed together with a bunch of other people your own age and friendships formed. It was great.

My best friends these days are those I met in college. I don't see any of them more than a few times a year but we communicate via phone, email and yes, Facebook often enough that I feel like our friendships are still thriving.

But they aren't next door like they were once upon a time in college. I miss that. I miss being able to go to a movie with a girl friend, knowing there was someone down the hall/street I could call and go for a walk with.

Alyssa has a friend over today. She's a very, very nice girl. They're both being really good to Olivia, which is always nice.

Alyssa spent the night with this same friend a couple of weeks ago. When T's mom dropped Alyssa off, she mentioned she was attending a wedding this weekend in Toledo and I suggested that if she didn't already have someone to stay with T, that T come over here and stay.

She, T's mom, was so relieved by the offer.

I could see becoming actual friends with T's mom. Which is a nice feeling.

I do have a another friend I met during Alyssa's kindergarten year. B is a great woman with sweet little girls the same ages as A and O. We do hang out too but mostly when we're attending something that involves one or more of our girls.

And maybe that's it. Maybe at this point in my life, my friendships are going to center around my kids and their activities. That's okay. As long as there can be moments here and there where I feel like I'm Tommie, not just A's or O's mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do find that my life happens around my intimate circle (my family). It's nice to have someone to catch up with and enjoy a cup of coffee with, I miss that too.