Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Parallels

Olivia had a dentist appointment this morning. We had to be there at 7:45 which meant we left home at 6:45 to drive to Fort Wayne to the appointment. As we drove away into the dense fog, Olivia and I waved to Tom and Alyssa, who were standing at the front window, waving back at us.

A few miles down the road, O asked me, "Did Lyssie have her tonsils out one time?"

I told her yes, Alyssa had her tonsils out a few months ago.

She then asked, "Did I stay with Daddy while you and Lyssie drove to get her tonsils out?"

Again, I agreed with her memory.

She paused a few more minutes and then said with a smile, "This time, Lyssie had to stay with Daddy while you take me to the dentist, right?"

She understood the parallel in the two situations. One time, she stayed with Daddy while I took Lyssie to a doctor and this time, Lyssie stayed with Daddy while I took Olivia to an appointment.

She declared that she liked spending time with me. I returned the sentiment.

Olivia had her tough days but the days when she makes those connections, when she shows deep thinking and comprehension, I couldn't be prouder of her. She works damn hard to do the things she does and I think there is no limit to what she might accomplish if she puts her mind to it.

The dentist though...that was sort of a rough appointment. And this was just the first meeting as a new patient at the pediatric dentist where she'll go back next week for actual work.

The x-rays were what were hard for her. She hated the feel of the thing you have to bite on in her mouth. I held her on my lap while the dentist held the thing in her mouth and the assistant took the image. Olivia wailed. Poor baby.

I will say, though, that x-rays aside, I really liked this dentists and everyone in his practice. The first thing he said when he came into the room was, "She's got a complex medical history, doesn't she?"

Which...yes. Yes she does.

And then he went on to ask questions that told me he'd done his own bit of research. He asked me if she'd had a scan of her heart. When I replied that she had when she was two years old and that it was perfect, he nodded, pleased with my response and then asked about her kidneys. Again, I was able to tell him we'd had an ultrasound on her kidneys when she was four. They're perfect too.

He didn't ask but I told him we'd even had an MRI of her brain when she was nine months old and received the verdict that it was lovely as well.

He asked if she was potty trained, more evidence that he'd read up even a little on 5p-. I can't tell you how nice it is to meet a medical professional who does his research.

After he counted her teeth and told Olivia how pretty they were, he showed me that she has a loose bottom tooth and that she needs some work on a permanent molar that is coming with a small defect, just something that could catch food and lead to decay. We'll seal that and another tiny cavity next Wednesday.

It'll be rough on Olivia but I know she needs to have it done and we'll get through it. The dentist prescribed a mild sedative to help her relax. And she's older this time than the last time she got some dental work. She might not understand completely but we can explain it as much as possible and get her through it.

No comments: