Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Going Green

We are basking in the spring that has sprung around here. When I get to my mom’s each afternoon to pick up the girls they are sweaty and flushed from running around outside for the hour between when the bus drops them off and I get there to pick them up.

Tom feels like he’s mowed the lawn seventy two times in the past three weeks, that’s how fast our grass (read: dandelions) are growing these days.

He’s already put our garden in, with plans to cover it this coming weekend to protect against potential frost.

We planted my mother’s day weeping cherry tree in the front yard yesterday.

The girls and I made our first trip to the park last weekend, after the girls has spent most of the day in our backyard as Tom worked in the garden and I hung load after load of sheets and blankets on the line to dry.

Yes, we’re loving the green that has sprouted around here. My lilacs are on the verge of blooming, the apple trees will do the same in another week or so, we hope.

I love watching the girls bask in the beauty of a soft spring evening. Olivia runs up the slide (yes, up the slide. I let her do it at home but not at the park when there are other kids there trying to go down the slide) and I am amazed at how much she can do.

I watched Alyssa play with her toy dogs and horses last weekend and I’m so thrilled that in so many ways she still so little. I want her to hold tight to her childhood and keep puberty at pay just a little longer.

I’m hoping all this green and sunshine will wash away the latent grouchiness I find myself wallowing in. What is my problem? Sleepiness (thanks every so much, Liv)? Busyness? I have a bridal shower coming up in a few weeks that I’m hosting so I’m trying to clean my house, plan a menu, gather door prizes, etc. I don’t know. I do know that I’m trying hard to let it go, to see the beauty of the spring and the coming summer. It’s the very least I can do for myself and my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


to you i would say the same as doc said about O.....love, be happy, do the best you can, set high limits for yourself...just do as others do. You are doing fine, and I enjoy your blog. You mostly do well with keeping a good spirit, which will just trickle down to your girls and the life they have ahead of them. Motherhood can be sometimes an unthankful job, but to count the blessings this job does offer is to know you are worth everything God gave to save us all! Live, love, and be happy....and keep on doing just what you are doing! Bless you!