Friday, May 3, 2013

His First Time

Although yesterday’s IEP meeting wasn’t my first, it was Tom’s. In the past he’s opted out of the meetings, trusting me to go and represent our family.

As I was packing lunches yesterday, I casually mentioned that I’d be at the school at 2:00 if he wanted to join me. He told me he trusted me to take care of it.

I thought that was what he’d say.

But as I drove toward the school at 1:40 later that day, he called me and asked where I was. I told him and he said he’d meet me at the school.

I was glad for the support. I was glad for his input when the teachers asked questions or made statements about Olivia.

It was nice to show up as a united team, both of us there for Olivia, both of us with our own experiences with her.

Since Tom is the one who is home with her each morning before school he has a unique point of view. Olivia doesn’t respond to him as well as she does to me. So he gets a bit more of the ‘deliberation’ from her, similar to what her teachers experience.

See, I am Olivia’s very favorite person in the whole world. She would choose me over any other person if given that choice. So…she talks to me. She makes her wants and needs known to me more so than she does to anyone else, including her dad.

I think it was good for her teachers/therapists to meet him, to hear how he responds to her and how he get responses from her. I was so glad that he decided to join me at the school.

I’m not sure he plans to ever do it again but I’m grateful for this year’s participation.

No comments: