Thursday, May 30, 2013

Warming My Nerdy Little Heart

After seeing the latest Star Trek movie, Alyssa asked me if I had any DVDs of the original series. See, she’d seen the first of the ‘new’ Star Trek movies, so she’d seen the original Spock as played by Leonard Nimoy but she had no idea who William Shatner was and she wondered how he compared to the dreamy Chris Pine.

Ahh, my sweet little nerdy girl just makes this nerdy mama so happy.

I was quick to remedy her lack of knowledge of the wonder that is William Shatner in the roll of Captain James T. Kirk.

Because OF COURSE I have DVDs of Star Trek: TOS (The Original Series for those who don’t speak nerd.)

So the other night I popped in a DVD and started it up.

The first scene had Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Mr. Scott and Lt. Uhura on the surface of a planet, speaking to the natives of this planet. I turned to Alyssa and said, “You can tell these guys are aliens because they have a blue dot on their foreheads.”

She was highly amused. I reminded her that this episode had originally aired in 1967, which was before I was even born. To her, that means it was made in the ‘olden days.’ Ha!

Anyway, I said that because it was made so very, very long ago, it was going to come across as poorly made in her modern eyes. The special effects back in those days were obviously not up to her 21st century standards.

She was more than willing to overlook the obvious special effects issues and even the poorly done stunts to just enjoy the episode for what it was. Which was pure entertainment. Though she did mentioned twice that the scenes of the ship just flying through space were pretty fake looking.

I just replied with, “Duh.”

At one point, she asked me if I thought Shatner’s Kirk was as cute as Pine’s version of Kirk. I pointed out that even in 1967 I’m pretty sure that Shatner was older than Pine is now as he portrays a younger, less experienced Kirk.

She got that but still wanted an answer. I admitted that Chris Pine takes the prize in dreaminess as far as I’m concerned.

Alyssa nodded her agreement but then, in a moment that will forever warm my nerdy little heart, admitted, nodding at the screen where Shatner was being his broody, heroic best, “But this guy is still pretty cute.”

I just love nerdy ten year olds. Especially when they’re mine.

Better still? Both A and O went to sleep wearing Star Trek themed pajamas. I really do love those little nerds.

Wait, what? Your kids don’t have Star Trek themes pajamas? Why ever not?

No comments: