Wednesday, October 16, 2013

All the Difference

Yesterday morning was rough. I hit the snooze button one time too many which led to rushing through my shower and racing downstairs ten minutes later than usual to pack lunches, brush hair and teeth and get everyone out the door in time to get to the bus stop.

Add to all that that fact that Tom didn’t get breakfast on the table for the girls until ten minute to seven and I felt all out of control. Things were getting done. Things needed to get done. Ahhh, how are we ever going to get everything done?

As I brushed O’s hair yesterday, Tom casually mentioned that if I got downstairs each morning ten minutes earlier than I had that morning, I might feel better as I’m going about the morning routine.

Let me tell you that that comment didn’t sit well with me.

I don’t criticism well. I KNOW he didn’t mean it as criticism but I heard it as such and well, it’s all in the reception, right?

Right.

Anyway, last night before bed, I asked Tom what time he’d like to see me downstairs the next morning so we could make sure breakfast we being served and eaten before 6:50.

He shrugged, as if the whole timing of breakfast hadn’t occurred to him as the problem with the entire routine that morning.

When I got upstairs, I changed the time on my alarm to fifteen minutes earlier than usual. That would give me two snoozes without putting me ten minutes behind.

And what do you know? It worked.

I was in the kitchen at 6:28 this morning and both girls were already at the table eating their breakfast.

We weren’t rushing through brushing teeth and getting shoes and socks on.

We left for the bus stop at the usual time but there was no barking orders or rushing out the door.

It really is amazing that ten extra minutes can make all the difference in a person’s attitude at seven o’clock in the morning.

No comments: