Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry and Bright

“This is the best Christmas ever!” Alyssa declared last night as she plugged in her new tablet for a good night’s charge and settled into her new sleeping bag next to me on the couch.

Olivia was already passed out next to me, overdosed on technology, her own new tablet plugged safely into the wall out of her reach. She’d asked earlier in the day if she was allowed to have her tablet in bed in the mornings when I wanted to sleep later than 5:30 and she was wide awake and ready to mud wrestle a pig. My first thought? Yes, please do bring your tablet to bed because that will mean I can probably sleep until noon before you remember that you need more than a tablet for sustenance.

My response, though, was more like, “We’ll see. I’m not sure your tablet will want to sleep with you. It might fall out of bed, onto the floor and break.”

The look of sheer terror on her face at the very idea of her tablet breaking took the idea of taking it to bed with her out of the realm of joy and into the world of NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

So yes, we got them tablets.

And they love them.

And they want to be on them all the time. We knew this would happen and we knew we’d have to be mean parents after being the extra nice parents who gave them the tablets.

After I unplugged both girls last night and plugged in both tablets, life went back to preChristmas normal for a couple of hours. I read to Olivia, Alyssa snuggled into my other side and read her own book.

We spent time with my mom and the rest of my side of the family yesterday. It was lovely. It was special. We’re blessed.

Tom’s older kids are coming on Sunday and bringing their own kids. Again, we’re incredibly blessed. I think we’re lucky to know this and appreciate it.

Even when we have to unplug to remember how lucky we are, that’s okay too, as long as we remember to actually unplug and come up for air once in a while.

No comments: