Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Coincidence

About nineteen Mother’s Day ago, I bought my mom a mother’s ring. It has my birthstone as well as the stones that represent my brothers.

When the girls and I went to visit my mom this past Saturday to give her Mother’s Day gifts, she ushered us back to her bedroom where she pulled that ring out of her jewelry box.

She asked me to try it on. She said it hadn’t fit her in years and wondered if it would fit me.

It did. It fit perfectly.

She asked me if I wanted it. She didn’t think it would ever fit her again and, she pointed out, the stones were just right for me.

I looked down at the ring on my finger and realized she was right.

Alyssa was born in the same month as my brother Mitch. Olivia was born in the same month I was. My mom and my brother Jason shared a birth month.

This ring, which was my mom’s mother’s ring, is now a ring that represents three generations of women in our family. My mom, me and my girls.

I love this happy coincidence.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well, that's pretty fancy!!! I want to see a picture!