Wednesday, May 28, 2014

One Day More

Olivia stayed home from school again today. I got up at the usual 5:30 this morning to start our morning routine. I found Tom at his usual spot in front of the window. He asked how O’s night went. Aside from some cough, cough, coughing off and on through the night, she slept well.

He asked how long it is suggested that one keep a child with pneumonia home from school.

I said that when asking a medical professional that question, the stock answer is, “Keep them home until they feel better.”

Huh. Not necessarily as helpful as one might think.

I googled the question. Again, there was no solid answer but the suggestions for caring for a child with pneumonia at home included keeping that child well hydrated, rested and comfortable.

While I was at work yesterday Tom and Olivia spent the day eating and resting. Perfect. When I called home before leaving work to see if they needed anything, Tom said that Olivia wanted him to call me earlier to tell me that her hands hurt. She was slightly feverish and her joints were aching. Poor baby.

When I got home (they didn’t need anything) he told me that just before I got home, she told him that her heart hurt. One of the symptoms listed on the site I pulled up this morning listed chest pain. O isn’t sure what or where her lungs are but she does know where her heart is and so chest pain to her meant her heart hurt.

She informed me last night that cold oranges and popsicles make her heart feel better. I’m glad something does.

So after all that, Tom and I decided that since Olivia refuses to eat or drink while at school, she was better off staying home for at least one more day.

I think we both feel good about that decision. I know Olivia did. She was quite happy when I left for work this morning, her cup of water by her side, her tablet in her hand, Frozen on the television (in English this time, with the English captioning on.)

If you can’t spoil a sick child, who can you spoil?

1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I hope she feels better!