Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Trouble with Travel

My mom is going to my aunt’s house this coming weekend to spend time with her mother on Mother’s Day. Grandma Dorothy lives in Battle Creek, MI with my aunt Lorry.

That’s a little over an hour drive from our area.

There are quite a few people going to Lorry’s house this weekend. My mom mentioned yesterday the girls and I were totally invited if we wanted to go.

I didn’t even have to think about it. We’re not going.

See, my mom and her sisters (and some of their kids and husbands) will be spending Saturday night at Lorry’s house.

If I were to drive the girls all the way up there and spend the night, guess who would have to get up with their own children on Sunday. That’s right, me! And I don’t wanna. Tom is very much a morning person, as are the girls, so he always comes up and gets the girls at around 6:30 or 7:00 every Sunday morning so I can sleep in.

If the girls and I travel and leave Tom at home, that leaves me to be the one who has to take care of my children on Sunday morning because obviously, I’m not going to ask my mother to get up early and care for my children on Mother’s day, it still, even eleven years into this mom thing, feels more like her day than mine.

I like to sleep. Everyone who has read even three posts here knows that. I usually feel like I don’t get nearly enough. Okay, maybe my biggest complaint isn’t so much the amount of sleep I get as it is the amount of UNINTERRUPTED sleep I don’t get.

This week Olivia has woken me up at least once every single night. It’s beyond frustrating to the point of irritating. I’m not the nicest mommy at 1:00 in the morning, let me tell you.

All the words, blah blah blah, to say that I wished my mom happy travels and a wonderful Mother’s day and thanks, but no thanks. I’ll be staying home with my daughters and my lovely, morning-person husband who graciously lets me sleep in, especially on Mother’s Day.

Obviously, the girls and I will go see my mom on Saturday before she leaves for Battle Creek to give her gifts and tell her she’s the best mom/gram ever.

No comments: