Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Fund Raising

What I want to know is when did it become a thing for the parents of the juniors to fund raise and plan the prom and after-prom?

Back in my day (Yes, I’m aware of how old and crotchety I sound, I don’t actually care.) the students themselves planned the whole shebang.

And, the school did not sponsor an after-prom gathering. The students figured that one out for themselves too. For what it’s worth, after my junior prom, my besties and I headed to Lead Bestie’s house and watched A Nightmare on Elm Street and then fell asleep on her parents couches/recliners. Best prom and after-prom EVER. I wish I’d gone to my senior prom with those three awesome people. Alas, I went with a boyfriend and it was…not fun. It was so very not-fun that I don’t even remember what we did after prom. I may have just made him take me home because, blah.

Yes, I did attend the initial meeting of the Junior Parents the other night. How did you guess?

Out of 40 students, nine parents showed up.

I know.

It seems like that’s always how it is. Whatever.

As of right now, I’m working two football games, selling crap for the Music Boosters as one of them and 50/50 tickets at the other. Go me!!

And I’m a co-chair with another mom (she’s awesome, by the way) in charge of food for Family Fun Night. Wheee!!

I hate being in charge of food. I hate it when it’s just for my family. Imagine how I feel about it now that it’s for the public at large. Let’s just say I’m not looking forward to this responsibility.

But anyway, here we are. The nine of us, plus two who had to work that evening and checked in with me to see what’s up, are in charge of raising tens of thousands of dollars to put together a prom ot end all proms.

Or, you know, give our kids a fun night that they may or may not remember in thirty years.

I’m sure I’ll do plenty of bitching between now and May 2, which is when PROM 2020 happens. Hold on to your hats, folks. Wait, I can’t even with that ‘folks’ back there. That is not something I’d EVER say out loud so why write it, right?

No, I guess what I meant say was, “Hold on to your hats, your awesome nerds.”

1 comment:

Julie said...

I did nothing with prom last year except drive the girls around